Pages

Monday, October 2, 2017

Construction: Week 2

This process is getting smoother as it goes along. It took me almost a whole week before I managed a report on Week 1 and here is the Week 2 update after just a couple of days. 

On Monday, last week, my amazing friend and another amazing friend of ours came to spread several tons of Class C and Class A gravel to extend the pad around the foundation. We had to hustle because the crew was coming to build the form at 2pm. So, hustle we did and we got 'er done in time. 
The pad at the beginning of the form's construction.
The form had to be meticulously measured to make sure it was a rectangle and not a parallelogram. I was proud to see that our measurements were very close to the pros'. As the form was built, it had to be leveled, too. A couple of our corners were a few inches lower than the others, but it was nothing that a little crushed rock couldn't fix.
No fair! They had a rock "slinger" and filled the form with gravel in a fraction of the time that it took us to spread gravel for the pad!
Three-inch thick and 2-foot wide foam insulation was placed around the edges on the inside of the form. The centre was then filled with gravel up to the edges of the insulation.
On Tuesday, the plumber came to install the under-slab plumbing. It was an unbelievably hot day for late September in Nova Scotia. Actually, it was an unusually hot day for Nova Scotia – period. To reduce the risk of my plumber passing out from heat exhaustion, I pitched in to help dig channels in the gravel to place the pipes and then helped fill in around them. Even sharing the work, we had to take several breaks for water and popsicles.
It's a small job – one 3-piece bathroom and a kitchen sink, but it's still a lot of pipes...


Once the under-slab plumbing was done and inspected, the slab contractors had to come back to do the next steps.
Stakes and pieces of 2x4 bolster the sides of the form, so it won't fall apart when the concrete is poured.
Insulation is fitted over top of the gravel and pipes.
Rebar and wire mesh are added to reinforce the concrete.
Surprise! The plumber needed a wooden box to put around the shower drain to keep it free of concrete and allow him some wiggle room to place the drain correctly under the shower pan. I had no idea this would be necessary, but fortunately, my builder was able to build the box on short notice and the slab contractors cut the angle to fit the slope of the insulation.
To recap, the following steps were completed during Week 2:
  1. Excavation
  2. Construction of the form
  3. Under-slab plumbing
  4. Under-slab plumbing inspection
  5. Insulation and wire mesh
I felt much more steady during Week 2 than I did during Week 1. Working with friends the first week gave me the safety to meltdown and be supported in my doubts and fears. Now that things have moved into the hands of strangers, I'm rising to the to occasion and pulling myself together a bit more. It helps that I feel like I am developing a better handle on this process. Learning what to expect and what I can do to help facilitate things is helping me maintain a more positive and relaxed attitude.

It helps that the contractors working with me (and their crews) have been stellar, fitting this project into their schedules with virtually no delays. It feels like a complicated process to weave all of these inter-dependent tasks, but so far, it's been almost seamless, and that is helping to build my confidence. 

I'm optimistic about Week 3. If things continue in the same vein, the slab should be poured by the end of this week! (knock wood)

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic, Alex!! Very interesting! You'll be snug in your new home this winter! Keep us posted! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon! I don't think I'm going to get finished in time to stay for the winter – I expect I'll run out of money before the septic system can be installed. But, if not, then NEXT winter for sure!

      Delete