Pages

Sunday, April 3, 2016

Waiting on Spring (A Tiny Home/Land Development Report)

Last night, I heard the spring peepers for the first time this year — not a full chorus, but a few bold frontrunners.

There are still predictions of snow in the weather forecast (in fact, snowflakes are falling as I write this), but I'm hopeful that there won't be any accumulation of snow. It would be great to have relatively clear sailing from here into the summer. Except of course for the inevitable season of rain and mud that passes for spring in Nova Scotia.

Not that I'm complaining. Compared to last winter, this winter has been a walk in the park. And no matter how wet and gross this spring becomes, at least it has already started. This time last year... well, don't get me started.

Now that spring is both officially and apparently here – and my biggest desk-work commitments are out of the way for another 5 months – I'm getting itchy.

I have less than a month left in my winter rental and I'm wild to know how soon I can move onto my land.

Preparation work has been continuing through the winter. More trees have been cut down. There is now a beautiful clearing letting in a ton of sunshine – as well as the fully-cleared actual (second) driveway.

I'm sad this cool stump will have to be
rooted out of the driveway.

Discussions have been happening with many and various people regarding possible construction, septic systems, wells, the driveway and electricity hook-up.

Decisions, decisions

I've had to make some major decisions this winter. 

The biggest decision I faced was whether I should try to winterize Wholehearted House (the tiny house on wheels that I bought a couple of years ago and have lived in for the past two summers) or if I should build a micro cabin.

After consulting with the fellow who created Wholehearted House (out of a 35-foot RV from the late 80s), another good friend who's a builder, my pops and others, I decided that it would not be wise to try to convert my tiny home. It is not meant to be a year-round dwelling. It's a grand (and beloved) dwelling in the summer time, when all the windows can be wide open. And it stays beautifully dry in the winter if it doesn't have a human being in it, producing gallons of moisture. But I've decided that trying to make it habitable year-round would be a misuse of funds and almost definitely a shortcut to major problems with moisture and mold.

However, I love my house and don't want to part with it. I have decided to keep it and use it in three seasons – as quiet, off-grid living/working space and as guest accommodation – or more likely, as my accommodation when I have guests, as I don't imagine all of my guests will be as happy as I am to live free of modern conveniences.

So, what about this micro cabin?

My pops, who always keeps an eye out for tiny home ideas for me, posted this link on my Facebook page a couple of months ago and I fell in love.

Isn't it adorable? Click the link in the paragraph
above to see many more photos.

Interestingly, after my mom saw these pictures, she told me that my Nana (her mom) had really, really wanted an A-frame cabin in the 60s, but ended up with a more traditional style of cottage.

There will definitely be some modifications to the design, but I think this is the general idea I'll be shooting for.

On my birthday this year, I went over to my land for a site inspection with my Builder Friend. We had a good look at the lay of the land and discussed everything that needs to get done.

In the midst of that conversation, I came to another decision, a rather sobering one: I simply can't afford to build my cabin this year.

That's disappointing.

Very disappointing.

I was longing to be settled in one place before winter this year.

But it's better to know and decide now instead of getting in over my head and winding up leveraged to the hilt. Or worse still, making commitments that I can't keep. I'm assembling a team of awesome people whom I really like and the last thing I would want to do would be to make – and then break – promises to them.

So, slow and steady is the order of the day. I am working hard, budgeting and saving as radically as I can (without sucking ALL of the joy out of my life).

With a little luck, I hope to be able to save enough money to build my micro cabin next year.

In the meantime, my immediate needs are a driveway and level spots to put my car and Wholehearted House. Then I'll need to move my tiny house on wheels to my land and set up a small solar rig for my immediate power needs, so I'll be able to work while I'm living there this summer.

The driveway is currently on hold, waiting for spring weight road restrictions to be lifted. And of course, because the path of my driveway has changed, I need to get a new estimate.

This spring, I want to make some raised beds and plant a garden. I also hope to be able to have a well dug (or drilled) and possibly put in my septic system this fall.

I have lots of research to do and decisions to make. Fortunately, I am surrounded by experienced friends who are generously willing to mentor me and help with ideas, advice, skill and labour.

And, since it will all take some time to get this project off the ground, I am also lucky to have a number of friends and neighbours who have offered to share their infrastructure through the summer so I'll have access to water, showers and laundry.

I'm looking forward to my summer in the woods. Conditions will be rustic in the extreme, and hopefully also peaceful in the extreme.

Well, adventurously peaceful.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, I am super excited about your coming adventure! Will you be taking photo's and doing a blow by blow accounting on this blog? (I hope I hope)?
    --Trevor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Trevor, that's the plan, although I keep forgetting to take photos when I go over to my land. I was there last evening with my driveway contractor and I totally blanked on taking photos – but, the process will be documented in words and pictures as much as possible!

      Delete
  2. No matter how long the journey is Salinger will make it a lovely one. He will surely scout out the area making it safe and free of dangerous cunning mouses who would engage in mousie activities to thwart your plans. With a loyal cat partner by your side all obstacles quickly fall away to reveal their true natures, of being nothing more than trivial things to be swatted aside by confident paws.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, love this! I expect Sal to glory in the trees and squirrels of our new home. Confident paws, indeed! <3

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on all your decisions. A new beginning is starting to take shape for you.

    ReplyDelete